Marc A. Swanson, M.D.
Dr. Marc Swanson has been a pillar of the Roanoke Valley for the past 23 years. He is board certified in both Anesthesiology and Pain Management. He practices holistic pain medicine with a focus on the patient rather than the disease, using the latest medications and interventional procedures to provide relief for his patients. He has treated thousands of patients from the Roanoke Valley and surrounding area and is consistently rated as the top pain physician on various surveys.
Originally from Illinois, Dr. Swanson completed medical school at West Virginia University School of Medicine. He pursued his internship at Vanderbilt University Hospital, trained in Neurology at the University of Wisconsin and completed his Anesthesiology residency at the University of Virginia. He held an academic appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor of Surgery at the West Virginia University School of Medicine for six years.
Soon after arriving in Roanoke Dr. Swanson’s passion for relieving human suffering led him to begin practicing pain medicine while working as a full time anesthesiologist at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. He was a key leader in the early development of the Carilion pain medicine service and served as the Chairman of the Multidisciplinary Pain Committee and Chief of the Pain Management Service Line from 2000 through 2005. He was instrumental in building a service that met a clear and present need in our community. Since 2005, he has been in a very successful private practice culminating in his founding of Blue Ridge Pain Management in 2009.
Dr. Swanson considers himself a fortunate man to have a wonderful wife, Cathy Jo, and two fantastic children. He feels blessed to have had the opportunity to make a positive impact on thousands of lives throughout the Roanoke Valley. He looks forward to meeting you and working to improve your pain related quality of life.
In Practice Since
- Vanderbilt University Hospital
Other Relevant Education
- Bachelor of Arts, Biology with minor in Philosophy and Humanities, Illinois Wesleyan University
- University of Virginia School of Medicine
- West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Subspecialty Certification in Pain Management, American Board of Anesthesiology, 1998 (renewed 2008)
- Certificate, American Board of Anesthesiology, 1993
- Certificate, American Board of Emergency Medicine, 1988
Swanson M, Stone D: 'Nitrous Oxide and Neuroanesthesia'. Progress in Anesthesiology, Volume IV, Chapter 16, August 1990.
- Swanson M, Stone D: 'Nitrous Oxide and Neuroanesthesia'. Progress in Anesthesiology, Volume IV, Chapter 16, August 1990.